Random Observations on Life

Random Observations on Life

Over time, owners do resemble their dogs!


This is a blog about a dog. Well not really. This is the more about the ramblings of the dog's dutiful owner, Blue's Dad. Although Blue might be the backdrop of this whole experiment, there's no telling where this trail will lead me. I apologize ahead of time for the randomness of my observations. I've always tended to color outside the lines.

Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Answer this question quick! What Color is a Yield Sign?

For a few years now, I've been asking that question to groups I train. I first learned it from a motivational speaker and it got me thinking.

The answer is Red and White, but about 90% of my trainees say yellow even though it hasen't been yellow since 1971. If you were one of those who said red and white (the correct answer), try it out on other people. I'm even surprised how many people born after 1971 still say, "yellow" although it's never been yellow for them.

I think this really gives us a chance to do introspection. How many times do we assume things are going to be the way they are because that is how they've always been.

This same speaker, Brian Biro, says, "The past should not be a predictor of the future, unless it serves you."

Think about your own life. How many times are you guilty of saying things like: I am not good at sports, I always mess up on things, I've always been too shy, I am not a good public speaker.

Just because we've always done something, doesn't mean that the things that caused us to be that way in the first place should still be adhered to. Recently, my sister-in-law accepted an invitation to run in a long distance relay even though she had never run competetively. Her portion was over 17 miles and she did it! Way to go Lisa!

Think about the yield sign. It hasn't been yellow for 37 years yet that is still a part of so many people's paradigm.

Are the things that are holding us back still based in old root causes?

2 comments:

glen said...

That's why no one knows what it means. They think yellow is yield.
I ask this to a lot of people yesterday. one got it right, I said yellow.

Wilmer Geraci said...

Yeah, it's kinda funny for people to be stuck on the past and identify the yield sign's color as yellow. It makes me wanna ask them, "When was the last time you actually saw a yellow yield sign?" LOL! Perhaps they might also think that signs are still fastened to poles with nails or something like that.