Random Observations on Life

Random Observations on Life

Over time, owners do resemble their dogs!


This is a blog about a dog. Well not really. This is the more about the ramblings of the dog's dutiful owner, Blue's Dad. Although Blue might be the backdrop of this whole experiment, there's no telling where this trail will lead me. I apologize ahead of time for the randomness of my observations. I've always tended to color outside the lines.

Saturday, August 30, 2008

Nerd Attitude

Sorry I haven't posted in a few days, I'm back in Hawaii in meetings and keeping very busy. ("Poor Bluesdad, trying to make us feel bad for him that he's back in Hawaii for the second time in a month, boo-hoo")

Two nights ago, I was coerced into going to a theme party. By nature, I am not a 'dress-up' person. I feel too conspicuous. The theme was 1950's so I bought a bow tie and glasses with tape and went as a nerd.


My costume seemed to be a big hit as I got lots of compliments. One of my co-workers complimented on my costume the next day. I told her that I was a little concerned that I was able to become a good nerd with only two small pieces of wardrobe. She said, "Oh no, the two things helped, but it was all in your attitude." Aside from the two adornments, I had slumped a little and took on countenance reminiscent of Carl from Sling Blade.


Her comments certainly got me thinking. Attitude is not only a big part of who we are, it can often be the defining part of who we are. If we have the attitude of a nerd, we become a nerd. If he have the attitude of a jerk, we become a jerk. If we have the attitude of a compassionate being, we become that compassionate person. If we have the attitude of success, then success can follow.

Much of this blog has been spent lamenting over the lack of common courtesies and social stupidity I see. I wondered how much of what I perceive is because of my own attitudes. Do I go out of my way to be offended? Would I find just as many kind, considerate people, if I had an attitude of looking for them? Its certainly something to think about.

By the way, in my attempt to dress like a nerd, I thought I was dressing up. After all, we've certainly learned since high school that the nerds had it right. We should've been more like them all along.

4 comments:

glen said...

I am so thankful I look like mom and you look like dads second cousin three times removed. Were you the young banjo kid in deliverance?

Rarely David usually Lisa said...

What a GREAT costume. I love it. So sad to hear you HAVE to go to HI again. Are you building up travel miles? I hope so.
I agree that the nerds have it right. I keep warning Logan to be nice to the nerds in Junior High because those are the people that will be interviewing him for a job for their company.
Question. If you act like a 25 year-old, will I LOOK like a 25 year-old?

Blue's Dad said...

Well, Flinders Girl, I'm not sure if you'll LOOK like a 25 year old with that attitude, but you certainly have more of a chance of FEELING like a 25 year old with a 25 year old attitude.

glen said...

its time for a nutter one.