Random Observations on Life

Random Observations on Life

Over time, owners do resemble their dogs!


This is a blog about a dog. Well not really. This is the more about the ramblings of the dog's dutiful owner, Blue's Dad. Although Blue might be the backdrop of this whole experiment, there's no telling where this trail will lead me. I apologize ahead of time for the randomness of my observations. I've always tended to color outside the lines.

Monday, October 13, 2008

Biscuits and Chocolate Gravy

When I was very young, Saturday mornings were always the best! Being the youngest, I was usually the first one awake. After waking up on those chilly winter mornings in the Ozarks, I would stand in front of the stove in the living room in order to raise my core body temperature to a human level. It would be many years later before I had heat in my bedroom, so the stove at the edge of the front room was a thermal treat. I would watch Looney Toons in front of the fire until the rest of the family woke.

I'm sure my mom and dad cooked many things for Saturday breakfast, but the mornings I remembered most were the times they cooked Biscuits and Chocolate Gravy. The biscuits were big and fluffy, browned with a touch of lard on the top. The gravy was hot, sticky, and most of all, chocolatey. There was a method to how I ate the treat. I carefully pulled the biscuits apart, and after putting butter on each half, I poured the gravy over my biscuits and let it drip onto my eggs and sausage. In the days before worries of fat and cholesterol, it was celestial.

More than the flavor of the food, I savored the safety of being with my mom and dad. They didn't always get along during those years, but at breakfast time all seemed ok in my world.

It wasn't until I moved out of state when I was 19, that I realized that the rest of the world had been kept ignorant to the joys of chocolate gravy. Sure they had their cracked wheat, bagels, scones and lattes, but they were naive to the joys of real breakfast foods. I'm sure mom had learned to cook the treat from her mom, and she in turn from hers. Who knows how far back the tradition went. Over the years, the only chance I had to revel in the decadence of chocolate gravy was when I returned home to visit. My children soon anticipated a visit to Grandma's to eat chocolate gravy. Another generation had been converted.

My dad has passed on since those days of Saturday morning bliss. My mom is now battling brain cancer. I called her last night to get the chocolate gravy recipe. Sadly, she couldn't remember it.

That's ok Mom, the memories we associate with Biscuits and Chocolate Gravy will last us (and our kids) a lifetime. Take it easy now. It's your turn to rest, so pass the torch to other generations who will cherish the tradition of Grandma's Chocolate Gravy. We'll be glad to make it for you now.

Even though the recipe we use may be the same, I wonder if it will ever taste as sweet as when you stood at the stove stirring it while Dad was pulling the biscuits from the oven. With those memories instilled in us, I'm sure we can recreate those Saturday morning feelings in our hearts and the tradition will live on for more generations to come.

8 comments:

The Williamsons said...

In a Facebook Group, this is the recipe that Barslund wrote.
CHOCOLATE GRAVY

2 cups milk
4 tbsp cocoa
4 tbsp sugar
4 tbsp flour

Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl. Slowly bring Milk to just below boiling point. (Do not boil!)

Whisk in Dry mixture. Stir almost constantly until gravy thickens.

Ramona said...

You should get PJ to make it for you While your there. She does Grandma's Recipe. Which I am sure is Close to Barslund's (If not the Same)

Blue's Dad said...

Thanks for the recipe, Jess. I actually got a recipe from PJ and made some on Tuesday. It was yummy, we even invited a neighbor over to introduce her to the treat.

The blog was less about the chocolate gravy, though, and more a tribute to Grandma.

glen said...

DARN! TEAR DUCTS! over active again.
one time I wanted it so much and mom didn't want to make it I refused to eat and pouted until she got so mad at me that she got up from the table and made it. Boy she was mad and I knew it. I enjoyed every bite. and I'm sure my brothers were thanking me.

O K little brudder friday morning your doing breakfast before you go. we will eat on the back porch and fell and smell and hear an Arkansas morning. and enjoy Chocolate. You knw we never called it gravy back then. Gravy was white with salt and pepper.

Lloyd said...

What beautiful memories you have to cherish forever. Isn't it funny the events that stand out from our childhood. I wish the best for your mom.
The old lady in ER

Phae-Jae said...

I was kinda hoping you'd influence a certain restaurant to serve it, hee,hee:)

Chocolate gravy will always be linked to grandma and grandpa, each time I make it for my girls I think of them. And of running a mile.

Unknown said...

I have good memories of buscuits and gravy too. Not only with grandma but with you. I had forgotten about those, thanks for reminding me of a great memory. :)

mindyluwho said...

I've had PJ's chocolate gravy...yum. This post made me think of my mom who passed away about 5 years ago. She made the best homemade bread EVER! Whenever I smell the aroma of freshly baked bread, I think of my dear momma!