Random Observations on Life

Random Observations on Life

Over time, owners do resemble their dogs!


This is a blog about a dog. Well not really. This is the more about the ramblings of the dog's dutiful owner, Blue's Dad. Although Blue might be the backdrop of this whole experiment, there's no telling where this trail will lead me. I apologize ahead of time for the randomness of my observations. I've always tended to color outside the lines.

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Wrongfully Judging Icebergs (part 2)

Looking back over the several posts of mine, I realize by now, I have probably offended almost everyone at least once. Whether it is because you drive a big pick up, or let your kids draw on restaurant tables, all of you have probably felt my rants were directed at you at one time or another. I can guarantee you they were never directed at any one person, but I understand how they could've been taken that way.

My arrogance never ceases to amaze me. I find myself thinking I have the ability to accurately judge others when I know very little about them (See previous post about icebergs).

This past Saturday, while in the Tulsa airport, I noticed a young father with a two year old. The two year old was on a leash which I have never liked. I feel like they are demeaning to a child to lead them around like a terrier. I watched with disgust and wondered about things I could say to him if we crossed paths. "Cute boy, what breed is he?", "Aaaah, what tricks can he do?" etc.

As I got close to the gate to enter the plane, I could see there was more to this man's story than I had known. Not only was he traveling alone with a two year old, he also had a baby in a carrier, a carseat for the boy, and a carry on bag to keep them entertained. He looked like a pack mule boarding the plane with all this in tow. Luckily for him, the other passengers were much more caring for a fellow human being than I was. The people around him stepped up and offered to help, grabbing whatever they could to ease his burden. I sat there ashamed of the way I had looked at him only minutes before. As we got off the plane, I carried some of his things in an effort to repent partially for my earlier idiocy.

If I were in his shoes, of course it would have made sense to tether the 2 year old. In case he ran off, there was no way I could've run after him. The father was wise. I was not.

Will I ever learn to just deal with the things I can control and that are part of my life?

7 comments:

glen said...

Never criticize another until you walk a mile in his shoes. Then if you offend him you have a mile head start.

Blue's Dad said...

I like it Glen

Rarely David usually Lisa said...

I love your perspective on life. I have learned a lot and feel I am a better person by reading your entries. For the record, you have NOT ever offended me in any of your posts. After a lesson in RS many years ago, I learned that we should not be easily offended... I have tried since then not to take anything personally ... after all, being offended is a choice we make to let things get to us. Saying all that, I still feel nothing you have said was ever aimed at me or anyone in particular. It is a blog... where you air your frustrations, dreams, aspirations, anecdotes, etc. It is one of my favorite blogs I keep track of on my bloglines.com.

Lloyd said...

You certainly haven't offended me in any of your posts---in fact I learn alot from them. You have great wisdom, so keep your ideas and thoughts coming.
The old lady in ER

still figgurin' said...

I love it when we as people are willing to share our weaknesses with each other! Makes the world seem so much friendlier!

mindyluwho said...

I loved your post so much that I wrote a post about it!

mindyluwho said...

In re-reading my post about your post I'm not sure I got my point across about how much I loved your post and how much I learned from it. It really made me think about how I view others and how my words and actions affect others for good and bad. Thanks!