Random Observations on Life

Random Observations on Life

Over time, owners do resemble their dogs!


This is a blog about a dog. Well not really. This is the more about the ramblings of the dog's dutiful owner, Blue's Dad. Although Blue might be the backdrop of this whole experiment, there's no telling where this trail will lead me. I apologize ahead of time for the randomness of my observations. I've always tended to color outside the lines.

Monday, October 27, 2008

Fathers and Daughters

I'm a quite simple man.

My desires in life have been pretty unassuming.

As early as my mid teens, one of my biggest goals in life was to be a good father and husband. This is one of those goals that can't immediately be determined if it has been accomplished, time has to prove it out.

There were many times when my daughters were growing up that I was afraid I was going to have to turn in my 'man-card'. When my friends would call me to come watch a game with them, I would have to decline because I was in the floor playing Barbies or going to see the Spice Girls Movie (yes they did make a movie, and yes I was one of a handful of grown men who saw it).

Now my girls are all young ladies and their dolls have been traded in for cars and college and jobs and even daughters of their own.

I heard the Paul Simon song listed in my playlist below and for the first time, I listened to the words. As you listen, pay attention to the chorus. When it says "There could never be a father who loved his daughter more than I love you", that is the only sentiment I can offer.

Only time and folklore will determine what kind of Father I have been, but in the end, if I'm judged a failure in that department, I can guarantee it wasn't for lack of effort and desire.

I've always said that in my eulogy, if they say, "this man was a hard worker and loved his God and his family", then I have been a success.

6 comments:

Juddjordan said...

That song is beautiful, and I am not going to lie, it made me a little teary eyed. You really are the best dad ever and I love you very very much! :) ai

Lloyd said...

No dad ever loved his girls more than you. You have ALWAYS been there for them and continue to be. You don't have to worry about whether you have been a good dad or not. It is already in the books that you have "been there, done that, and got the T-shirt".
My hat is off to you!!!!!!!!!!!!
The old lady in ER

Blue's Dad said...

Thank you for both of your thoughtful comments. Please let me assure all of you, I wasn't fishing for compliments. Just making observations about life.

glen said...

And if you were fishing for them I would help you lose it. This post was a good one. Made me think. I sent it to my best e-mail friends.
one sent this back to me.
I enjoyed your brothers blog. especially the chocolate gravy one--- Most of the folks I have encountered in life haven't a clue about this delicacy. I still enjoy it about every other week when the grand kids visit. Thanks for allowing me to read this. Take care of yourself, and we will chat later. David

so he read past today's so what?

mindyluwho said...

I LOVE that you played Barbies with your girls! Keep your 'man-card'...only a real man would admit that!

kaynjudd said...

now i can see where my deep thinking comes from. :)

You are an awesome dad. and you know it!!!!!!!